For a client in the consulting industry, I selectively (meaning there is a lot more in the report) extracted the following data is based on the 2009 B2B social media benchmarketing study by business.com http://www.business.com/info/business-social-media-benchmark-study using responses from 2,393 participants.
- 80% of participants are using Social Media as a business information resource. For 3 of the top 4 resources, 69.1% use webinars or podcasts (84% at large companies), 62.1% visit company profiles on social media sites (70% at large companies), 55.1% visit company blogs (64% for large company participants), and 54.5% conduct searches for information on social media sites (66% for large company participants).
- 60% participate in online business communities or forums, or asking questions on Q&A sites like Yahoo! Answers or LinkedIn Answers
- For participants from large companies in the computer, software, internet or online industries, 80%-84% attend webinars and use podcasts, 75%-86% visit company blogs, 68%-72% visit company profiles on social media sites, and 66% - 68% conduct searches on social media sites.
- Senior management participants working for mid- to large-sized companies use significantly more social media resources for business information. Of these participants, 77% are more likely to use webinars and podcasts, 67% visit company or product profile pages on social media sites, 61% visit company blogs as well as conduct searches for information on social media.
- Of business-to-business (B2B) companies where two-thirds or more of company revenue comes from sales to other businesses, 77% are currently involved in planning or managing social media initiatives. The vast majority (94%) of these are directly involved in planning or managing social media initiatives for their companies and spend, on average, 21% of their time in a given week on business social media activities.
- For the B2B companies with social media initiatives, 81% are maintaining company profiles on social media sites, 75% use micro blogging (Twitter), 74% maintain one or more company blogs and 73% are monitoring company mentions within social media.
- For monitoring success in a measureable way 68% of companies use website traffic, 60% use engagement with prospects (leads) and 52% use engagement with customers (revenue).
My friend at Rory Martin at www.rorymartin.com recommended I share the following me as well :
com/trial - This is the most interesting use of B2B social media that I've seen in a while - Tableau introduced this "free" version of their graph software for bloggers to easily use to show simple data sets - so basically everyone will use this if they don't have the cash - and - everyone will use it if they do (after a critical mass knows about it)
- I just found this fairly involved ongoing experiment: http://blogs.business.com/b2b-
online-marketing/2009/ businesscom-b2b-social-media- case-study/
- These are things I like to use as education fodder for clients questioning value http://mashable.com/2009/11/
25/social-media-b2b/, http://mashable.com/2009/11/ 06/social-responsibility/, http://mashable.com/2009/10/ 27/social-media-roi/
Pokember - Matthew Chase's Blog | Matthew's Profile