If you have the time, check out this presentation by marketplane. If you don't, here is a quick summary:
1. Social networks like Linked In, Bebo, Ning, Facebook, Myspace and Twitter have huge reach to B2B customers are are exploding.
2. Tactically, you became a social marketer when you participate and converse with customers rather than "shout" at them.
3. Your customers spend 8 hrs on their computer at another 2 on their mobile device. Over 40% network with clients, blog about work and access their social networks from work.
4. Most professionals are just getting started so we have a long way to go until peaking.
5. The social technology market is fragmented and it's important to deeply understand what's happening to make the right choices.
6. If you want to establish yourself as a thought leader, blogs, file sharing and podcasts are critical.
7. Thought leadership, brand awareness, web traffic and demand generation are all core benefits.
8. Social media though is not about the tools, it's about the audience relationship where your objectives should make the tools you need clear.
9. The best measure of social activity is audience participation.
10. The downside is that social media takes time, effort and expertise. Don't be afraid to ask for help.